Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Time to post again!

Revenge of the gamedev

I'm back again, I've got some time to post and I realized this blog should be used for keeping up with my development!
I've got a twitter account set up by the way, on which I'll link to this blog posts from now on!
A lot has happened (again), I've been using Unity ever since my last post and I have to say, it's been great!
I've upgraded from 3.5 to 4.0 and I've bought an Android license from Unity and I registered as an Android developer on the play store.

To celebrate I'll start with the games and unfinished projects I've made this past year:

The Past

Coin Machine

Gameplay

Title screen

One of the first games I've actually finished, and the first one on Unity.
I've recently cleaned it up and made it a bit prettier and released it on Kongregate and the play store for free.
This is kind of a simulator for a coin machine, you drop coins on the table, which then pushes other coins and prizes off the table which you then collect and get points.
Very simple game, but I've learned some things about PhysX from making this, especially that it isn't a good idea to load lots of mesh colliders on a mobile phone.

To my surprise it did OK, I had a few installs on the play store and some people were playing it on Kongregate too!

Boru Bounce

Title

Help screen

Start of game

Almost finished level

Another game I've released on Kongregate and the play store!
You shoot a ball with a cannon and try to achieve massive score with the help of special orbs in more than 30 levels.
I've used a xml file to load levels from Tiled, this was really fast on all devices and it was quite easy to edit and create new levels. I've let my girlfriend make some levels in it too and she enjoyed the process.

Project 2 Player






First try at a 2 player game in Unity, it failed miserably because I wasn't experienced enough.
Trying to make a 2 playerco-op action rpg was a little more than I could chew and way too complicated.
It also didn't help I wasn't good enough with Blender to make decent models.

I used pathfinding for the enemies which worked ok, except it dropped the framerate every so often to update the grid.
I stopped developing it after a while.


Project Run! 

Attacking a demon

Running

Killed a demon

A simple runner game for Android, which was never released.
You have to time your jumps to cross the platforms and kill demons along the way.
This was quite a fun project but it was quite hard to play.

I've uploaded a web version and an android version to my dropbox if you want to try it.
You can use the buttons or space to jump & ctrl to attack.


Techno Ninja

Adventure prototype room

Adventure prototype explosions, cam-ball

Adventure prototype looting

Final game title

Final game

Final game

This started out as an adventure game but my scope was way too big so I managed to save the game by turning it into an arcade game with 3 1 levels and 4 2 weapons. As you can see, I even had to shrink the arcade game down.

This was actually a good decision, because it would have been another unfinished project otherwise.
I decided to release it alongside the others on Kongregate because one of my colleagues and friends said it was pretty fun .
There were a few comments about it being laggy on some machines so I've put in a quality button to toggle the graphics and I've set the default lower than before.

Even with the changes, there were very few people playing it.
I'm glad I finished this one though!

The Present

Project Fast RPG

First version
Battle Screen
Inventory & equipment screens

Showing the description windows

Town

Blacksmith

Character & iventory selection

Quest board, completed a quest

Quest board: looking at an accepted quest

Available quests

Looking at an unique weapon

Finished fight, player is running towards exit

This is what I have been working on the past month or so, I've also posted it to screenshot saturday on Reddit.
I'm planning on releasing it for Android, the web, PC, Mac OSX and linux.

I'm enjoying myself making this and it's working out great!
I've got a lot of stuff in there already, like an inventory system, shops, equipment, quests, etc. and I've decided to use a 2.5D style.
The graphics aren't all final yet, I'm focusing on gameplay for now and getting all systems working, but they do a pretty good job.

I'm not using any plugins or libraries for the 2D in unity, every sprite you see is a simple plane with just 2 triangles so the poly count is kept down.
I've also done some small optimizations and I get a solid 60fps on the android devices I've tested except for my old HTC Desire, which got between 20 and 25 fps. (8 fps before the optimization!)

The game is a long way from being finished, but I feel I'm getting there eventually.
I'm also planning on updating this blog and my twitter account every time I add content.

I'll end this post with the changelog up to now, I've done more but anything before 25/02/13 isn't documented:
25/02/13:
- Changed front camera to orthographic, much easier to get UI elements right
- Shop progress: can now select and inspect items, can't buy yet, button has been placed
- improved dragging code, now works instantly, no need to hold down anymore
- Changed UI backgrounds

26/02/13:
- Changed backgrounds to blue for less brown
- Buying possoble by double tapping, button not working yet
- Improved bar code in battle system so the bars can be scaled and it still works
- Improved UI of equipment
- Added icon to description window, added black bar to title
- Converting top bar to orthographic for better layering (30%)
- Buying in shop fully working
- Centered UI for better multi-res support
- Adding black backgrounds for bars

27/02/13:
- Made topbar more compact
- Converting top bar to ortho (100%)
- Black backgrounds added in tob bar
- Added weapon visual
- Added true turn based combat, no more attacking at the same time
- Fixed bug: Using action other than attack, pauses time
- Updated description window
- Double tap use sound in inventory
- Hiding enemy bars & turnbars when out of battle
- Added black title bars to all windows


28/02/13:
- Added item shop
- Modified shop code for shop types
- Enabled item shop button in town
- Added code in topbar to show/hide the bottom bar, needed for the map system to have more screen space, etc
- Converting the town buttons to dynamic buttons (15%)

02/03/13:
- Converted town buttons
- Optimized scenes, now runs at 60 fps on tested devices (30fps -> 60 on one X)
-
3/03/13:
- Level up notification
- Added selling
- Sell and buy price differ now : sell price is 20% of value
- Starting quest system base

4/03/13:
- Expanding quest system
- Quest visual started

5/03/13:
- Visual quests

6/03/13:
- Pub started
- More visual quests

7/03/13:
- Pub papers on quest board sprites
- Pub finished
- Quest code almost finished
- Working on quest system (Getting reward)

9/03/13:
- Quests take needed items out of inventory now
- Added notification window + icon
- improved loot system
- Added Bone item
- Fixed Description window button show code
- Updated Bone icon
- Notification window

10/03/13:
- Updated notification window
- Adding stash (100%)
- Click on quest board opens quest board
- Adding more drag n drop (starting with stash <-> inventory)

11/03/13:
- Quest Window: change background for selected quest
- Changed way description windows work
- Added comparison for equipment
- Added vial of slime (common)
- Slime drops vial of slime now
- Added new item type: Monster Item (drops from monsters, used for quests, crafting?)

12/03/13:
- Updated drag code, same for android/other now
- Removed compare window bug, compare windows would instantly close and not be visible in some cases


 Cheers!

1 comment: